History of the Website Design Competition
The Michigan Council of Women in Technology Foundation (MCWT) proudly hosts the longest-running website design competition for girls in the state of Michigan. The competition is open to middle and high school girls.
Beginning in 2006, The first competition was limited to one high school, which participated in MCWT’s GET IT program. (GET IT stands for Girls Exploring Together – Information Technology.) That first year, just three girls designed websites and presented them to a group of MCWT members.
In 2007, the second competition included three high schools. That year, 17 teams participated. In 2008, MCWT opened the competition to all high schools in Southeast Michigan. In 2013, mid-Michigan area schools were added. In 2014, MCWT opened the competition to high school girls across Michigan.
The website design competition is adjudicated by over 70 judges from MCWT’s partner companies who examine the entries and select finalists. The finalists are invited to present their sites to a second panel of six judges, consisting of CIOs and managers of large Michigan companies.
Significant enhancements have been made to the competition throughout the years:
- In 2010, Mercedes Benz Financial Services (MBFS) added a bonus for the winners: They were invited to attend a field trip to MBFS. MBFS continues to invite the high school competition winners to take part in this special visit.
- In 2011, MCWT divided the competition into two categories – beginner and advanced and additional prize money was awarded.
- In 2011, Comerica Bank introduced a new aspect to the competition by offering the first place winner in the advanced category a paid summer internship in Comerica’s IT department. MCWT has recently decided to offer this opportunity to additional partners as well.
- In 2016, MCWT streamlined the judging process by replacing score sheets with evaluation software.
- In 2017, MCWT expanded the competition further by adding a category for middle school girls.
Each year, MCWT Foundation and its partner companies look forward to seeing the remarkable achievements of the girls who participate in the Website Design Competition.